Communications: Community Relations
Director, Corporate Communications - USTA National Headquarters (White Plains, NY)
Develop and execute the USTA Communications plans aimed at generating local and national press for “What Matters” at the USTA. Duties include but not limited to:
- Direct USTA’s communications strategy for all USTA divisions including professional tennis; community tennis and USTA Player Development
- Supervise and manage all area-specific communications plans for internal constituents including: US Open, Emirates Airline US Open Series, Youth Tennis, USA Team events, and USTA Player Development
- Lead special event development and publicity efforts for major USTA initiatives including Youth Play Days, World Tennis Day, participation milestones, etc.
- Manage and supervise US Open events including Draw Ceremony, Ballperson Tryouts, pre-event trophy tour, champion’s media tours, etc.
- Generate national awareness of all USTA initiatives
- Increase non-traditional publicity reach for the USTA with national television programs, national print media outlets, new/digital media opportunities and diverse media outlets
- Lead and direct all USTA Player Relations communications strategies including proactive publicity outreach, development of defensive strategic to negate negative press and media training of PR executives, coaches and program participants.
- Supervise all publicity managers including Performance Appraisal Form (development opportunities) and year-end reviews
- Direct publicity managers in development of customer-specific annual communications plans
- Bachelors degree
- Minimum of eight-to-10 years of related experience
- Excellent knowledge of the business of tennis in particular, and the business of sports in general
- Polished oral and written presentation and interpersonal skills
- Proven track record of placing stories in sports and other media outlets in the local and national level
- Ability to develop and activate publicity strategies
- Strong strategic/analytical skill set coupled with creative/conceptual abilities
- Extensive experience with press room operations
- Creative, resourceful, self-motivated
- Team oriented
- Time management expert